[Corpora-List] Mozart vs. Mozart's treat as same words in Wordsmith!

Mike Scott mike at lexically.net
Fri Aug 31 20:51:27 UTC 2012

Keely, hi

In WordSmith's settings, each language can define one or more characters
which can be treated as honorary letters; the apostrophe is one which is
defined by default as a valid mid-word character for English (but not
for other languages). If you aren't getting the apostrophes in words
like /father's/ recognised, that could be because your texts have curly
apostrophes, which Microsoft (for example) might have inserted into your
texts instead of straight ones. You can get that fixed using the Text
Converter utility in WordSmith.

I hope that helps -- Mike

On 31/08/2012 20:58, Keely wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am a music student so I am very unfamiliar with some of the
> terminology.
> but I am trying to get the latest version of wordsmith  to treat words
> with and without the 's as the same.
>
> I can't for the life of me figure it out.
>

> --

Mike Scott

***
If you publish research which uses WordSmith, do let me know so I can include it at
http://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/corpus_linguistics_links/papers_using_wordsmith.htm
***
Aston University and Lexical Analysis Software Ltd.
mike at lexically.net
www.lexically.net