[Corpora-List] Handling a Large Text Archive

Christopher Tribble ctribble at clara.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 20:27:00 UTC 2012

David Lee has some useful pointers...

http://www.uow.edu.au/~dlee/CBLLinks.htm

Best

Chris

--
IN CHESHIRE TODAY
Dr Christopher Tribble
TEL    || +44 161 929 4411
EMAIL	|| ctribble at clara.co.uk
WEB	|| www.ctribble.co.uk
BLOG	|| http://ctribble.blogspot.com

-----Original Message-----
From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [mailto:corpora-bounces at uib.no] On Behalf Of
Mark Davies
Sent: 04 January 2012 17:21
To: corpora
Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Handling a Large Text Archive

I've appreciated the comments and suggestions so far from others on this
topic.

It got me wondering -- although I personally don't use special-purpose text
analysis (i.e. word frequency or concordancing) programs much, I'd like to
provide a nice overview of 4-5 of the most useful programs for the students
in my Corpus Linguistics class this semester. I'm aware of some of the more
well-known (Windows-based) programs, such as WordSmith and AntConc. But I'm
wondering if anyone here has created (or is aware of) a nice web page with
links to several different programs, listing their strengths and weaknesses.

I've googled and have found several pages with links to "text analysis"
programs, but most of them deal with programs that are designed to work with
very small corpora (i.e. a handful of Word documents), and few if any of
these surveys are up to date. Any good suggestions on up-to-date web pages,
with a focus on (mostly Windows-based) programs that can handle at least
moderate-sized corpora?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906

http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **