[Corpora-List] Framework for EmoText

Alexandre Trilla alex at atrilla.net
Fri Jan 13 21:55:57 UTC 2012

Dear Alexander and all,

your app is very appealing. Thank you for sharing it. I am also
interested in this lexical-affect sensing field. In fact, I have
developed a similar service, named EmoLib:

http://dtminredis.housing.salle.url.edu:8080/EmoLib

which predicts a sentiment label (i.e., positive, negative or neutral)
instead of an emotion. The approach that is currently available, though,
is based on a dictionary of affect instead of being automatically learnt.
I once compared EmoLib to a tool similar to yours:

http://atrilla.net/index.php?article=blog&specific=35

and I qualitatively found that Machine Learning approaches tend
to perform better at the expense of having a poorer generalisation ability
(domain-specific limitation according to the topic/s of the training text).
Or put in a different way, affective-dictionary-based approaches perform
more modestly but are more generalisable (thus avoiding domain transfer
problems?). Do you have a similar feeling with respect to this?
At least this is my mind and that's why I have not delivered a service
with any of the learnt methods that EmoLib also implements (basically the
Multinomial Naive Bayes, the Vector Space Model, LSA, Multinomial Logistic
Regression and SVM). Which technique does EmoText use?

Moreover, EmoLib first splits the sentences of the input text, then
predicts the sentence-wise sentiment labels independently, and finally
draws the affective wash at paragraph level. Do you follow a similar
approach in EmoText?

Thank you, indeed.

Alex

> Dear all,
>
> I put a brief description of my framework on the Internet that I
> implemented in the context of the statistical EmoText (
> www.socioware.de/technology.html#framework). You might notice some
> resemblance with the WEKA Experimenter. Since I didn't have  any brilliant
> idea on how to name this framework, I called it simply InfoFramework.
>
> Although I tested the framework in the context of opinion mining, I assume
> it can be used for any kind of statistical processing.
>
> Best
> Alexander

 ALEXANDRE TRILLA
 B.Sc., M.Sc. in Electronics, Telecommunications
 Engineering and Information Technology

 Email: alex at atrilla.net
 Homepage: http://atrilla.net