[Corpora-List] Search: Free annotated corpus for German

Yannick Versley versley at sfs.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Jul 20 13:38:31 UTC 2012

Dear Hernani,

are you talking about free-as-in-beer or about
free-as-in-redistributable corpora?
To my knowledge, there are many corpora that are available free of cost to the
user, but none of them are redistributable.

These corpora are freely available for research purposes:
* the TüBa-D/S corpus, which contains POS- and syntax-annotated versions
  of Verbmobil dialogues http://www.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/en/tuebads.shtml
* The Tiger and Negra treebanks
* The OPUS corpora at http://opus.lingfil.uu.se/ are quite large but
only contain
   automatic annotations.

You should be able to use TüBa-D/Z without additional cost if your university
has a license - do check with your professors/colleagues.

To my knowledge, no one has yet made a redistributable hand-annotated
corpus for German - unlike for English, where the MASC corpus
(http://www.anc.org/MASC/Home.html)
is freely downloadable and modifiable by anyone. One of the big
problems in creating a corpus such as the MASC is to obtain
permission from the rightsholders of the original texts.

Best wishes,
Yannick

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Hernani Marques (UZH)
<h2m at access.uzh.ch> wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> Does someone know of a freely (at least) PoS-tagged corpus available for
> German. The most interesting I found is the Tüba-D/Z corpus, but it's
> quite restricvely licensed:
> * http://www.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/tuebadz.shtml
>
> --
> hernani
> Web: https://www.ccczh.ch/Hernani
> identi.ca:  https://identi.ca/h2m
> Jabber:   hernani at jabber.ccczh.ch
> Diaspora*:   hernani at pod.ccczh.ch
> * * * * *
> It is your concern when your neighbor's wall is on fire.
>                 -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)
> * * * * *

Dr. Yannick Versley

Sonderforschungsbereich 833