[Corpora-List] Joan Acocella has a review of Henry Hitchings' "The Language

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.ru
Sun May 13 14:39:06 UTC 2012

Dear corpora members, I wonder if you read the book and the review on it in New Yorker. In case, you have any opinion, send it to me. This is what I wrote to prof.Johanna Rubba = Write back to yutamb at mail.ru  Yuri Tambovtsev
You must understand that many linguists as well as I, never read Acocella's review. Neither have we read the opus itself. May be Joan is correct. By the title of the book I can tell, it is not deep. Be well, Yuri Tambovtsev=
 'Joan Acocella has a review of Henry Hitchings' "The  "The Language Wars" in
this week's New Yorker. It stinks. Real bad. She can't tell the
difference between prescriptive and descriptive rules. She accuses
Hitchings of making illogical arguments and then makes several of her
own (accepting language change is tantamount to going back to the
dentistry of Samuel Johnson's time???) She equates vernacular
languages with slang. I've rarely seen anything this bad in the NYer.

I sent in a response letter.

Jo

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
Tel. 805.756.2184
Dept. Tel 805.756.2596