[Corpora-List] "Language Immersion for Chrome", and a Better Idea

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Tue May 15 12:03:20 UTC 2012

Dear Ziyuan Yao

I would like to applaud your idea! A Japanese teacher of English, Teruhiko Kadoyama, who was a distance-learning
MA student of mine at Birmingham University, used English subtitles from Hollywood movies very effectively to
help his students to learn a) onomatopoeic words (eg bark, quack, chirp, twitter, etc)  b) a range of verbs of motion
for similar actions (eg walk, stroll, amble, dash, rush, scramble, etc), and reported on his experiments for his
MA Dissertation in 1999.

However, I don't know whether he has conducted any further experiments, or published his
Dissertation or other papers on this topic, or developed any software for the purpose.
But it may be worth you doing a Google Search on his name, to check?  I had a quick look,
and discovered he is now a Professor at Hiroshima International University, and is President
of the Society for Teaching English Through Media...
http://www.stemedia.co.kr/menu_1_1.htm?searchkey=&searchvalue=&page=1&board_seq=79&mode=read

best wishes
Ramesh

Ramesh Krishnamurthy
Visiting Academic Fellow, School of Languages and Social Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET