[Corpora-List] Limiting queries to online database

William H Fletcher fletcher at usna.edu
Tue May 15 18:41:09 UTC 2012

Thanks for your suggestions, Mark and Andrew.

I have now implemented limits of 1 query per second and 1000 queries total
per session per IP address.  That should meet the needs of most legitimate
researchers.  Since many people are loath to register I'll wait and see
whether I'll follow your example, Mark.  Requiring registration and log in
will certainly test users' motivation!

If any users on this list require a higher query limit I'll be glad to grant
it.

BTW, the bots kept switching IP addresses; until I got my scripts tweaked
they ran over 12.5 M queries in the last couple of days, for over 21 M in
the last week!

Regards,
Bill