[Corpora-List] Obituary: Emanuele Pianta

Rachele Sprugnoli sprugnoli at celct.it
Fri Nov 9 23:18:04 UTC 2012

Dear All,

we are deeply saddened to inform you that Emanuele Pianta, head of CELCT and senior researcher at FBK, passed away yesterday, as a consequence of a serious car accident.

Graduated in linguistics at the University of Padua, in 1993 Emanuele arrived at Fondazione Bruno Kessler and soon became one of the most brilliant and respected researchers in the field of language processing. Emanuele had the unique ability to combine his great expertise in the field of linguistics with the sensitivity to develop technologies applicable in real contexts of use. We remember him particularly for having started and coordinated the construction of MultiWordNet, the lexical database for the Italian language, and for coordinating the development of TextPro, the software for automatic analysis of written Italian.

Since 2009 he had been the scientific director of CELCT, the Center for the Evaluation of Language and Communication Technologies, an office  that he was still  holding with success and passion. We also remember his love for teaching (at the University of Trento and Bolzano) and the many national and international collaborations which over the years he was able to build with passion and far-sightedness.

A man of interdisciplinary culture, Emanuele was about to enthusiastically undertake a new scientific challenge in the field of Digital Humanities, where he was to lead a new research group. He leaves a wealth of knowledge and experience to CELCT, FBK and the whole scientific community, but also a great sense of void among those who have had the privilege to work with him.

For all of us the loss of Emanuele is cause of immense grief and sadness beyond words. We'll try to carry on his work, to pay tribute to Emanuele and all what he has achieved in his life.
Our thoughts and prayers go to his family, colleagues and friends.

Rachele Sprugnoli on behalf of CELCT and FBK