[Corpora-List] Meta Question regarding sentiment/opinion/reputation was Re: Campagne d=?windows-1252?Q?=92=E9tiquetage_?=en sentiments de tweets et blogs

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Mon Nov 19 16:32:11 UTC 2012

On 19 Nov 2012, at 15:05, Angus Grieve-Smith <grvsmth at panix.com> wrote:

> On 11/19/2012 9:49 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
>> Most people who use a sign language can also read a language
>> that is spoken.  So they would probably find or invent some
>> sign to express the ideas they learned through reading.
>
>   This is off-topic, but it depends what you mean by "read" and by "most."  In my research I've seen Deaf people with very low reading abilities in spoken languages.  As I understand it, they are representative of the majority of Deaf people, even in literate countries like the United States.

Indeed according to Kyle and Woll adult speakers of British Sign Language have a average literacy level equal to that of an eight (8) year old. It's on topic sort of via the existence of various national sign language corpus projects. And since their book was published (1989) the educational environment has worsened for Deaf people---though the rescinding of the Milan 1880 nonsense might see an improvement.

>   More on topic, in American Sign Language and Mexican Sign Language, there are major differences between ad hoc borrowings and fully lexicalized signs, and the lexicalized signs don't always correspond to what signers may have been reading.  So Trevor's point about this unnamed sign language is valid: the fact that it distinguishes between the three concepts is evidence that the distinction is not confined to one community.

Thanks. I don't know any ASL or MSL. But I do know English and the confusion of the three words and the concepts they signify is troubling.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!