[Corpora-List] Corpus Linguistics 2013: Call for Papers

Amanda Potts a.potts at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 21:28:38 UTC 2012

Corpus Linguistics 2013:
Call for Papers

The seventh international Corpus Linguistics conference (CL2013) will be
held at Lancaster University from Tuesday 23rd July 2013 to Friday 26th July
2013. The main conference will be preceded by a workshop day on Monday 22nd
July.

The goals of the conference are as follows.
* To gather together current and developing research in the study and
application of corpus linguistics;
* To push the field forwards by promoting dialogue among the many different
users of corpora across interconnected sub-disciplines of linguistics ­ be
they descriptive, theoretical, applied or computational;
* To explore new challenges both within corpus linguistics, and in the
extension of corpus approaches to new fields of study.

With these goals in mind, we invite contributions on as broad and inclusive
a basis as possible. The areas in which we particularly welcome submissions
include but are not limited to:
*  Critical explorations of existing measures and methods in corpus
linguistics;
*  New methods and techniques in corpus development, annotation and
analysis;
*  Corpus approaches to the study of new media;
* New tools and techniques developed in corpus-based computational
linguistics;
* The application of corpus approaches in the social sciences and
humanities;
* The extension of corpus linguistics to an ever-wider range of
(non-English) languages;
* The interface between corpus and theory;
* The use of corpora in discourse analysis;
* The use of corpora in second language acquisition studies and language
pedagogy.

The following speakers have accepted our invitation to give plenary lectures
at CL2013:
* Karin Aijmer
* Guy Cook
* Michael Hoey
* Ute Römer

With this announcement, we issue our main Call for Papers, and provide
notice of workshops being held on Monday 22nd July.

Call for abstracts for papers, posters and panels

We invite submission of abstracts for papers, posters and panels on any
topic relevant to the conference themes.

For this conference, we are requesting extended abstracts (750-1500 words),
as we do not plan to produce a volume of conference proceedings. All
abstracts will be peer-reviewed by the conference programme committee.

Paper presentations will consist of a 20 minute talk followed by 10 minutes
for questions and discussion. Please note: paper submissions should present
either complete research, or research in progress where at least some
substantial results have been achieved. Work in progress which has yet to
produce results can be submitted as a poster abstract ­ see below.

Submissions for panel discussions should take the form of a single 1500 word
abstract on behalf of all speakers to be on the panel. The abstract should
include a note to specify whether the panel is intended to be 1 hour or 1.5
hours in length.

Submissions for poster presentations should be shorter (400-750 words). We
especially welcome poster abstracts that (a) report on innovative research
that is in its very earliest phases (b) report on new software or corpus
data resources.

We especially encourage abstract submissions from early-career researchers,
including postgraduate research students and postdoctoral researchers.

All abstracts must be submitted via the conference website; the submission
system will be live from 18th November 2012. A template file, containing
instructions for laying out abstracts, is available for download from the
submission page.

Key dates
* 18th November 2012 ­ abstract submission opens via conference website
* 8th January 2013 ­ deadline for abstract submission
* 15th February 2013 ­ notification of the outcome of peer review; early
bird registration opens.
* 1st April 2013 ­ early bird registration closes
* 30th June 2013 ­ final deadline for registration
* 22nd / 23rd July 2013 ­ workshop day / main conference begins.

Pre-conference workshops

On Monday 22nd July, the following pre-conference workshops will be offered:
* Evaluative Language and Corpus Linguistics
* Corpus-Based Approaches to Figurative Language
* Workshop on Arabic Corpus Linguistics
* Web as Corpus Workshop
* Corpus Analysis with Noise in the Signal
* Annotating Correspondence Corpora
* Compiling and analysing a spoken academic corpus
* A Fully-annotated Pragmatic Corpus ­ the SPICE-Ireland Corpus

More information ­ including detailed workshop descriptions and a
provisional schedule ­ will be published as it becomes available on the
CL2013 workshop webpage (http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/cl2013/workshops.php).

General information

The conference will be held on the Lancaster University campus; see
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/contact-and-getting-here/maps-and-travel/ for
information.

For all further information, see the conference website:
http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/cl2013

The conference is hosted by the UCREL research centre
(http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk), which brings together the Department of
Linguistics and English Language (http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/) with the
School of Computing and Communications (http://www.scc.lancs.ac.uk/).

The local organising committee of CL2013 is made up of: Amanda Potts, Andrew
Hardie, Tony McEnery, and Paul Rayson.

Visit the committees page (http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/cl2013/committee.php)
for a list of members of the programme committee of CL2013.