[Corpora-List] Meta Question regarding sentiment/opinion/reputation was Re: Campagne d=?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=99=C3=A9tiquetage_?=en sentiments de tweets et blogs

Alexander Osherenko osherenko at gmx.de
Wed Nov 21 10:50:52 UTC 2012

2012/11/20 John F Sowa <sowa at bestweb.net>

> On 11/19/2012 9:51 AM, Alexander Osherenko wrote:
>
>> I would differentiate between sentiment, opinion, reputation etc. not
>> using a lexicon but orientate much more towards a general and intuitive
>> psychological disposition...
>>

> When analyzing any issue about distinctions among words, I believe
> it's important to use all available resources.  In my note, I started
> with the definition from the M-W online because it summarized the
> distinctions observed by professional lexicographers on the basis
> of a corpus of citations, their many years of experience, *and* their
> "general and intuitive psychological dispositions".  But I continued
> with an analysis that went beyond the M-W definition.
>
> My intention was to point out that, in some cases, especially in the case
of rare emotional corpora it is possible to use related corpora chosen on
the basis of "psychological disposition". For example, a corpus with
product reviews can substitute a corpus with opinion texts. I am very
confident that M-W lexicographers didn't miss out something in their
definition, but they defined other things. They annotated individual words,
not particular corpora texts. Returning to the initial question about a
corpus with reputations, I assume that a sentiment corpus or an opinion
corpus or a reputation corpus can be used for opinion mining since their
texts describe particular psychological disposition of the author.