[Corpora-List] Corpra & Literature

Gill Philip g.philip.polidoro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:15:15 UTC 2012

Dear Linda,
Looking at the ways a character changes over the course of a book is
endlessly fascinating. as are other chronological changes connected to the
progression of plot. I'm doing some work on this and other things using the
Harry Potter series: far less high-brow than Dickens, of course, but
revealing nonetheless.
My work here is still in progress, but you can see how I've been using my
corpus data from some conference slides:
Key words, pivotal words and leading words in "Harry
Potter"<http://www.academia.edu/2059580/Key_words_pivotal_words_and_leading_words_in_Harry_Potter_>,
Corpus Linguistics 2011
and
"You have your mother’s eyes": Collocational resonance and symbolism in
"Harry Potter"
<http://www.academia.edu/2059546/_You_have_your_mothers_eyes_Collocational_resonance_and_symbolism_in_Harry_Potter_>,
Researching and Applying Metaphor 2010 (although presented a year earlier,
it's probably best understood after looking at the CL talk)

best,
Gill

On 26 November 2012 11:33, Michaela Mahlberg <
Michaela.Mahlberg at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Linda, ****
>
> ** **
>
> My book *Corpus Stylistics and Dickens’s Fiction *(New York & London:
> Routledge, 2012) has just come out this month. ****
>
> Amongst other things, it includes a discussion of approaches to
> characterisation (in the context of cognitive stylistics/poetics) and how
> corpus stylistic methods can help find character information (e.g. through
> lexically driven categories of body language/ collocations around ‘as if’).
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415800143/****
>
> ** **
>
> I’ve also done a couple of articles that address issues of
> characterisation and character information.****
>
> Of the examples below,  the first one was specifically written for a
> literary audience and deals with examples of Rigaud in *Little Dorrit*,
> the second article compares two characters in *Bleak House*, the third
> addresses some wider methodological issues. ****
>
> ** **
>
> **1)      **MAHLBERG, M., 2012. “Corpus Stylistics – Dickens,
> text-drivenness and the fictional world”. In:* *J. JOHN (ed.), *Dickens
> and Modernity.* Brewer. pp. 94-114****
>
> **2)      **MAHLBERG, M., 2012. The corpus stylistic analysis of fiction
> – or the fiction of corpus stylistics?. *In: *MUKHERJEE, J. and HUBER,
> M., eds., Corpus Linguistics and Variation in English: Theory and
> Description Rodopi. 77-95****
>
> **3)      **Mahlberg, M. and C. Smith (2012). “Dickens, the suspended
> quotation and the corpus”, *Language and Literature*, 21(1), 51-65.****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Hope that helps.****
>
> ****
>
> This is a great topic for teaching and students tend to come up with very
> interesting assignments!****
>
> ** **
>
> All best****
>
> Michaela ****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ------------------------------****
>
> Dr. Michaela Mahlberg****
>
> Associate Professor in English Language and Applied Linguistics****
>
> Director of the Centre for Research in Applied Linguistics (CRAL)****
>
> School of English ****
>
> University of Nottingham ****
>
> University Park Nottingham****
>
> NG7 2RD, UK ****
>
> ** **
>
> http://www.michaelamahlberg.com/****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

Dr. Gill Philip
Università degli Studi di Macerata
Dipartimento di Scienze della Formazione, dei Beni Culturali, e del Turismo
Piazzale L. Bertelli
Contrada Vallebona
62100 Macerata
Italy