[Corpora-List] Google "region"-based searches

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Tue Nov 27 19:44:28 UTC 2012

>> Also, and this is total speculation, but I would't be surprised if they're running a probabilistic classifier on websites to impute this information.

That's my sense as well. There seem to be pages that are on domains/servers in the US or UK, but which deal with country X, and some of these are getting tagged as being from country X itself. But I need to look into this more.

MD

Mark Davies
Professor of Linguistics / Brigham Young University
http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **