[Corpora-List] English is close to Sandinavian languages

Patrick Juola juola at mathcs.duq.edu
Fri Nov 30 14:34:51 UTC 2012

This finding doesn't mean much; really all it says is that you are using
the word 'closest' in a non-standard way.   There's a well-attested history
of English and the rest of the Germanic languages that puts English fairly
firmly in the West Germanic family along with Frisian and Saxon, and at a
greater distance, Dutch and standard German    You're not going to trump
documented history with simple similarity judgments.

 If you're not talking about taxonomic closeness but simple similarity,....
well, the half of England that wasn't under Saxon control was under Danish
control.   What did you expect?