[Corpora-List] English is close to Sandinavian languages

Nicholas Sanders nix at semiotek.org
Fri Nov 30 16:46:19 UTC 2012

On 30 Nov 2012, at 14:34, Patrick Juola <juola at mathcs.duq.edu> wrote:

> There's a well-attested history of English and the rest of the Germanic languages that puts English fairly firmly in the West Germanic family along with Frisian and Saxon, and at a greater distance, Dutch and standard German.

I make no claim to be fit to enter this debate, but I feel it worthwhile to mention Stephen Oppenheimer's "The Origins of the British" which

	… demonstrates that the Anglo-Saxon invasions contributed just a tiny fraction (5%) to the English gene pool. Two thirds of the English people reveal an unbroken line of genetic descent from south-western Europeans arriving long before the first farmers. The bulk of the remaining third arrived between 7,000 and 3,000 years ago as part of long-term north-west European trade and immigration, especially from Scandinavia - and may have brought with them the earliest forms of English language.

Whether it does so demonstrate, I (as noted) am not not qualified to say!

--

Nicholas J A Sanders

+44 [0]7092 153 409
nix at semiotek.org