[Corpora-List] intuitions about co-occurrence

Ute Römer ute at uteroemer.de
Thu Apr 25 14:57:47 UTC 2013

Hi Marco,

I have two references that don’t cover EXACTLY what you’re looking for but
discuss related research that may be of interest.

The first one is Stefanie Wulff’s monograph Rethinking Idiomaticity
(http://books.google.com/books/about/Rethinking_Idiomaticity.html?id=uD5oet7
okb0C) which combines corpus evidence and speaker judgments on frequent
English idioms. Also, Nick Ellis, Matt O’Donnell and I are working on a
study of verb-argument constructions in which we compare verb/construction
co-occurrence data from the BNC with L1 and L2 speaker responses collected
in free association and lexical production tasks (so not word-word
associations but word-construction associations). We outline the core
components of the project in Ellis, Nick C., Matthew B. O'Donnell & Ute
Römer. 2013. Usage-based language: Investigating the latent structures that
underpin acquisition. Language Learning 63(Supp. 1): 25-51. Let me know if
you would like more information on the project.

Best wishes,

Ute

Dr. Ute Römer

Assistant Professor

Department of Applied Linguistics and ESL

Georgia State University

34 Peachtree St., Suite 1200

Atlanta, GA 30303

USA