[Corpora-List] Preprocessing the Project Gutenberg DVD

Matthew L. Jockers mjockers at unl.edu
Thu Apr 25 15:06:03 UTC 2013

Tristan,
One problem with the Project Gutenberg files is that the boilerplate is not standard across the entire corpus.  A few years ago I modified a python script from Michiel Overtoom in an attempt to strip out the boilerplate and convert the plain text to TEI.  I blogged about this and included my code here http://www.matthewjockers.net/2010/08/26/auto-converting-project-gutenberg-text-to-tei/
Unfortunately the solution does not cover all the variations in the way the boilerplate gets written across Project Gutenberg files.
Matt

--
Matthew L. Jockers
Assistant Professor of English