[Corpora-List] Fwd: computing similarity between two parse trees

Geoffrey Sampson grs2 at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Aug 12 15:05:31 UTC 2013

Dear Masood,

If what you are looking for is a metric, that is a formal method of
measuring parse-tree similarity which delivers numbers that correlate well
with our intuitive perceptions of similarity in this area, then I would
recommend a paper by me and Anna Babarczy, "A test of the leaf-ancestor
metric for parse accuracy", in _J. of Natural Language Engineering_ vol. 9,
pp. 365-80, 2003:  this gives experimental evidence to support the claim
that our "leaf-ancestor metric" is superior to what at that time was the
almost universally used "Parseval" metric (in its various versions).
However, if you are looking for a piece of software that performs the
calculations (for some particular metric), then I don't think I can help;
we wrote our own.

Regards,

Geoffrey Sampson