[Corpora-List] how many subscribers are there on corpora-list?

Miles Osborne miles at inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 10:56:43 UTC 2013

I can see why this information is not made public (spamming and identity
theft) but it should be possible to estimate the numbers.

if we assume that people post at the same rate as they always do (clearly
wrong) then simply counting the number of authors over a period of time
will tell you whether the numbers are growing, or stagnant.  it might also
be possible to apply capture-recapture reasoning here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_and_recapture

having subscribed to this list (with different email addresses) since 1992
or so, in my experience the numbers of postings hasn't dramatically
increased over time.  this makes me think that the numbers of subscribers
is fairly constant and probably fairly low.  i would guess we have in the
hundreds of people.

Miles

--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.