[Corpora-List] OALI pledge to publish (open access monographs in linguistics)

Yannick Versley versley at sfs.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Feb 18 09:08:39 UTC 2013

> Why should I publish in your Open Access Project?

Could you please summarise the advantages to authors as well as to the
> research community?

I don't want to preempt any sort of more elaborate response by the people
who are actually
involved, but here is my hunch:
Books, as they are today, are not a good tool for disseminating original
material because of
the substantial price tag attached to them (and, for obvious reasons, you
don't know what
you are buying unless you already have the chapter in question from the
author's
website, or have read a review of the chapter or book somewhere).
If you don't care about people reading your work, but have to worry about
impact factor, here's
a quantitative analysis from a nearby field:
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2012/08/29/how-to-bury-your-academic-writing/

A high-quality open access book series (which is what we should hope for)
would remove the
paywall between your work and your potential readers, and thereby get your
work more visibility.

Best wishes,
Yannick

--