[Corpora-List] WSD / # WordNet senses / Mechanical Turk

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Tue Jul 16 18:03:11 UTC 2013

On 7/16/2013 2:43 AM, Adam Kilgarriff wrote:
> For either automatic WSD, or even for the gold standard, I agree
> entirely with John:
>
>     Miss Elliott, my high-school English teacher, wouldn't give
>     anyone a gold star [for work like that]

     Well, now hang on a minute.

     First of all, how unambiguous were these, originally?  Real
language is full of ambiguous uses.  I'm surprised that the experts can
even agree 95% of the time, and I'd guess that part of their expert
training was aimed at exaggerating that agreement to satisfy brittle
models that weren't built to handle persistent ambiguity.

     Second, if the human experts didn't even agree, why would Miss
Elliott expect her students to do any better?  What kind of a sadist was
she?

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com