[Corpora-List] Question: Citing Linguistic Corpora

Angela.Chambers Angela.Chambers at ul.ie
Thu Mar 7 12:00:23 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I was pleased to see this thread as I have been unclear as to how
corpora should be cited. At present I am familiar with three systems,
all different.

1. Where the creators of corpora ask for a specific publication to be
cited, I have followed that, although it had not occurred to me (as the
creator of two small pedagogic corpora of journalistic and academic
writing in French) until I read the recent messages that I could perhaps
follow that system.

2. In a 2005 article in the journal Language Learning & Technology, I
included a reference to BNC Baby. I can't remember how I originally
referenced it, but I noticed that in the editing process it was changed
to the version below, which I have been adapting for my own corpora:

Burnard, L. (Ed.). (2004). BNC Baby [CD-Rom]. Oxford, England: Research
and Technology Service, Oxford University. Available at
http://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/babyinfo.html

3. I am currently working on a chapter to be submitted for a book to be
published by Cambridge University Press, and the instructions for citing
corpora are as below. In case the formatting is removed in this posting,
the titles of the two corpora given as examples are in italics,
including all the words as far as CD-ROM for the first example, and all
the words as far as Edition for the second. The Europarl corpus title is
not in italics.

Corpora

Corpora with authors/editors should be listed under the name of the
authors/editors.

Otherwise, they should be listed under the name of the corpus. If only a
website is

available (e.g., Europarl corpus: www.statmt.org/europarl), the corpus
should not be

included in the list of references, but its URL should be placed in a
footnote.

e.g., Granger, S., Dagneaux, E., Meunier, F. and Paquot, M. 2009. The
International Corpus

of Learner English. Version 2. Handbook and CD-ROM. Louvain-la-Neuve:
Presses

Universitaires de Louvain.

e.g., British National Corpus, Version 3 (BNC XML Edition). 2007.
Distributed by Oxford

University Computing Services on behalf of the BNC Consortium.
www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk <http://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/>   (last accessed on
11 December 2012).

All this, as well as the other postings in this thread, seems to suggest
that there is no accepted way of referencing corpora, although after
reading the third recommendation above I'm now tempted to follow that in
future and to leave out the reference to the creator as editor.

Best wishes,

Angela

Angela Chambers

University of Limerick, Ireland