[Corpora-List] V Object into V-ing

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Wed Nov 20 17:27:12 UTC 2013

In my data on prepositions, about 2 percent of 'into' instances are
constructions of this type. And these instances do have verb governors
cited by Adam and Ramesh. While not directly following Jason's
suggestion of a Levin class, they do follow the VerbNet class
'force-59'. However, Martha's class includes all 4 of the Cobuild
semantic groups ('force', 'trick', 'charm', and 'spur'). So, what class
system should be used? This sense of 'into' seems to be 'expressing the
result of an action', but there will be many more instances in this
sense that do not have this specific construction. Can we characterize
the governors of these instances by other classes, either from Cobuild
or from VerbNet or some other class system?

     Ken

On 11/20/2013 10:07 AM, Krishnamurthy, Ramesh wrote:
> Hi Chris
> There is a fairly comprehensive corpus-driven account
> of "V n into -ing" in Cobuild Grammar Patterns 1: VERBS
> available at https://arts-ccr-002.bham.ac.uk/ccr/patgram/ch04.html#s17
>
> The editors divided the verbs occurring in this pattern into 5 semantic groups:
> 1 The 'force' group
> 2 The 'trick' group
> 3 The 'charm' group
> 4 The 'spur' group
> 5 other verbs
>
> I have myself casually noticed the increasing use of 'persuade sb into doing sth',
> whereas my intuition suggests it used to be more frequently (if not exclusively)
> used in the pattern 'persuade sb to do sth'...
>
> hope this helps
> best
> Ramesh
>

> ---
> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 11:42:55 +0100
> From: Christoph Ruehlemann <chrisruehlemann at googlemail.com>
> Subject: [Corpora-List] V Object into V-ing
> To: corpora <corpora at uib.no>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in the [V Object into V-ing] construction, as in *You
> bullied me into becoming yur girlfriend* (BNC: HGM 3178). Is anybody aware
> of ongoing research or published papers into this? (I faintly remember
> seeing a paper read at one of the ICAME conferences, but cannot remember
> which one.)
>
> Cheers
> Chris

Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237
CL Research                       EMAIL: ken at clres.com
9208 Gue Road                     Home Page: http://www.clres.com
Damascus, MD 20872-1025 USA       Blog: http://www.clres.com/blog