[Corpora-List] software for measuring semantic similarity and relatedness?

Ted Pedersen tpederse at d.umn.edu
Sun Oct 6 15:45:40 UTC 2013

Greetings all,

I'm preparing a tutorial on measuring semantic similarity and
relatedness between concepts, My particular focus is on methods that
do this using ontologies or other (at least somewhat) structured
resources (like Wikipedia, folksonomies, etc.) and that also have
freely available software associated with them (or at least a web
demo).

While it's a very interesting area, this particular tutorial won't
include purely distributional approaches (due to time constraints), so
I'm looking for methods and software that use some sort of resource
like WordNet, Wikipedia, medical ontologies, Freebase, etc. to arrive
at measurements of semantic similarity or relatedness between pairs of
concepts.

What follows is my current list, based not only on projects I have
heard of but have used in the not too distant past - so I guess I'm
particularly interested in projects you have used or created yourself
(and can therefore vouch for to some extent).

Based on WordNet, provide path, depth, info content based measures,
may include relatedness measures like lesk, vector, hso

WordNet::Similarity
http://wn-similarity.sourcforge.net

NLTK
http://nltk.org

ws4j
https://code.google.com/p/ws4j/

Based on UMLS (Unified Medical Language System), provide path, depth,
info content measures, includes relatedness measures lesk, vector

UMLS::Similarity
http://umls-similarity.sourceforge.net

Based on (GO), provide path, depth, and info content measures

Proteinon
http://lasige.di.fc.ul.pt/webtools/proteinon/

I will post a summary of whatever I hear about after some period of
time. Any hints or suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Ted

--
Ted Pedersen