[Corpora-List] Student Fee Waivers at Search Solutions 2013

Kruschwitz, Udo udo at essex.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 10:17:20 UTC 2013

Search Solutions (http://irsg.bcs.org/SearchSolutions/2013/sse2013.php) tends to attract a fair number of academics (staff and research officers) but only a small number of research students. In order to attract more research students the committee is pleased to announce a number of fee waivers for students to attend Search Solutions 2013 to allow them to attend and benefit from the event.

What do we offer?
We offer to waive the registration fees for Search Solutions 2013 on 27th November 2013. This will be for the main event (not the tutorials) and will not include any travel expenses or subsistence costs. There will be up to five fee waivers available.

Who qualifies?
Any UK based postgraduate student, full time or part time, qualifies. In particular, we invite applications from research students working in the wider areas of information retrieval, natural language processing or human computer interaction.

How does the application process work?
We expect a one paragraph statement from the candidate that explains why the fees should be waived. In addition to that we expect a short CV. Applications should be sent via email to the IRSG secretary (udo at essex.ac.uk). Successful candidates should be willing to write an article for the IRSG newsletter Informer (http://irsg.bcs.org/informer/), e.g. a summary of Search
Solutions 2013.

What is the application deadline?
The deadline will be 31 October. Candidates will be notified by 10 November.

Who will judge the applications?
The three proposers of this document present a mix of industry and academia, all three are members of the IRSG committee. They will assess the applications and make final decisions.

Udo Kruschwitz
Stefan Rüger
Nilesh Thatte