[Corpora-List] Conference Proceedings on Youtube or Other Online Media

Erp, M.G.J. van marieke.van.erp at vu.nl
Wed Oct 9 14:59:17 UTC 2013

Hi Muhammad,

You may also find some relevant talks at http://videolectures.net/

I think it would be nice if this would become more standard in our field, but there is indeed the added cost for the organisers.

grtz,
Marieke

On Oct 9, 2013, at 15:44 , Leon Derczynski <leon at dcs.shef.ac.uk<mailto:leon at dcs.shef.ac.uk>>
 wrote:

Dear Muhammad,

When the facilities and staff are available to record sessions at conferences, post-process the recordings and organise them for upload, they tend to be presented openly. I have a suspicion this can be prohibitively expensive, especially when there are many parallel sessions. For conferences online, sites like Techtalks often offer some presentations, and you can (for example) find the NAACL 2013 talks there.

  http://techtalks.tv/naacl/2013/

Some researchers have taken the creative initiative of leaving their laptop on their front-row seat to record their presentation, also, with varying success.

All the best,

Leon

On 9 October 2013 15:30, Muhammad Shakir Aziz <true.friend2004 at gmail.com<mailto:true.friend2004 at gmail.com>> wrote:

> Dear Corpora Members
> Being a student of linguistics and a member of this mailing list, I receive a number of conference calls and announcements every week. These conferences are free as well as paid. Now that Internet and communication (specially media like Youtube) are so popular and cheap, I was wondering whether it is possible to provide conference proceedings (key speakers' addresses etc.) online. The idea must have been there in other minds and I might be ignorant of appropriate website(s)/ link(s) where some of such (video/ audio) proceedings are available.
> If this becomes possible (at least for free workshops, conferences etc.), I think it would be a great help for linguistics students and researchers from less developed countries who cannot travel to destinations world wide but still feel motivation to listen to key figures speaking at such events.
> Regards
>
> --
> Muhammad Shakir Aziz محمد شاکر عزیز
> Master in English Linguistics
> Translator, Course Developer, Linguist for Urdu, Punjabi and English
> Urdu:- http://awaz-e-dost.blogspot.com/
> English:- http://linguisticslearner.blogspot.com/
> Facebook:- http://www.facebook.com/truefriend2004
> Skype:- true_friend2004

Leon R A Derczynski
Research Associate, NLP Group

Department of Computer Science
University of Sheffield, UK

http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~leon/

Computational Lexicology & Terminology Lab (CLTL)
The Network Institute, VU University Amsterdam

De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV  Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.mariekevanerp.com
http://www.newsreader-project.eu