[Corpora-List] software for measuring semantic similarity and relatedness?

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Wed Oct 30 02:06:27 UTC 2013

G'day,

I think these summaries are great!  Have you considered adding them to
the aclwiki?  I think it is a good place to make these widely
available (I try to keep the Japanese corpora page up-to-date).

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM, manaal faruqui <manaalfar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently assembled (under  construction) a list of all the available
> lexical semantic evaluation benchmarks that people have been using in their
> research. Hope people will find it useful!
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mfaruqui/suite.html
>
> Manaal
>

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Ted Pedersen <tpederse at d.umn.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to all who responded to my request for information about freely
>> available packages to compute semantic similarity and relatedness
>> using some sort of ontology or structured resource.
>>
>> Below is my best attempt at a summary - I have tried to be accurate
>> here, but please if I've errored in how something is described (or
>> have messed up a URL) please do let me know. And of course, if there
>> are additions that should be made to this list, I'd be more than happy
>> to learn of those and include both in this list and in the tutorial
>> that motivated my original request. And my sincere apologies if
>> someone sent me something that isn't included here - as long as there
>> was an implementation that could be downloaded or accessed via the
>> web, I intended to include that here (so please don't hesitate to
>> remind me).
>>
>> I've divided the responses up into three categories.
>>
>> 1) packages that provide a variety of measures (and normally include
>> multiple measures that were developed by someone else, and then
>> implemented by the package authors perhaps along with a few of their
>> own measures)
>>
>> 2) implementations of specific measures
>>
>> 3) gold standard human similarity and relatedness judgements
>>
>> Note that 3) wasn't included in my original request, but came about as
>> a result of asking about the first two, so I thought I would include
>> that information as well.

>> Systems that provide a variety of measures :
>>
>> Based on WordNet and include measures based on path length, depth,
>> information content, and may include relatedness measures like lesk,
>> vector, hso
>>
>> 1) WordNet::Similarity http://wn-similarity.sourceforge.net
>>
>> 2) NLTK http://nltk.org
>>
>> 3) ws4j https://code.google.com/p/ws4j/
>>
>> 4) DKPro https://code.google.com/p/dkpro-similarity-asl/ (also
>> includes support for Wikipedia/Wikirelate, Wiktionary, openThesaurus,
>> GermaNet)
>>
>> Based on various medical ontologies
>>
>> 1) UMLS::Similarity http://umls-similarity.sourceforge.net (based on
>> Unified Medical Language System)
>>
>> 2) Proteinon http://lasige.di.fc.ul.pt/webtools/proteinon/ (based on
>> Gene Ontology)
>>
>> Systems where the focus may be on other issues but that still include
>> some support of semantic similarity and relatedness measures between
>> words/concepts
>>
>> 1) Disco http://www.linguatools.de/disco/disco_en.html (co-occurrence
>> / corpus based similarity, but also includes plug-in for ontologies in
>> Protege)

> [...]

Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies
Nanyang Technological University