[Corpora-List] WordNet vs Ontology

shams shams at sepehrs.com
Thu Aug 7 10:12:04 UTC 2014

some points :

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh:
> Isn't an ontology about 'reality', and a wordnet about 'natural
> language'?
>
> Ontologies are impelled by taxonomic goals and logical relationships,
> whereas natural languages are a form of human *behaviour*, whereby
> their users seek to share and communicate with each other their own
> *experience* (of 'reality')?

natural language is something we use to communicate about realities so
according to meaning triangle,
language and reality are not independent.
ontologies contain concepts which are mental elements, they just refer
to referents in the real world
but we can not call them the reality.
they are just our vision or mentality about the reality which we refer
to by natural language.
this is why there are so many ontologies which should be mapped or
aligned to let interoperability happen.

back to the main question, I would like to mention that terminological
or lexical ontologies are a kind of
ontologies whose concepts are lexicalized in a natural language. they
do not necessarily contain axioms.
by this definition wordnets are a kind of ontologies.
their nodes are actually concepts which are lexicalized by a set of
words (synsets) and the relations among
them are conceptual and semantic relations just like what we have in
other ontologies. the only difference
is that the relation types are limited which is not the main
characteristic of wordnets. and any relation
between synsets can be defined in wordnets as has been done in wordnets
of some languages (such as Persian).
we have restrictions on nodes too. they should be able to be referred
to by a word or a phrase in a language.

Best regards

M.Shamsfard
NLP Research Lab, Head.