[Corpora-List] WordNet vs Ontology

Rich Cooper rich at englishlogickernel.com
Fri Aug 8 16:18:41 UTC 2014

Dear John,

You wrote:

Lenat made the mistake of assuming that you need
to hand-code

a huge amount of knowledge before a system can
start to read

by itself.  But that's wrong.  You need to design
a system that

can automatically augment its ontology every step
of the way.

John

Yes, I agree; the system has to build up knowledge
by interacting with its user(s), including
knowledge about words and word usage.  But that
isn't Lenat's only miss.  From his thesis on, he
has been writing about discovery systems, not
about systems that learn from empirical evidence.
And of course there are those who think that
embodied systems are needed before they can learn
like people do.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper