[Corpora-List] What support should a corpus provide to ontologists?

Rich Cooper rich at englishlogickernel.com
Sun Aug 10 00:44:29 UTC 2014

In developing ontologies to match corpora samples,
as in learning algorithms, what kind of analysis
of each document would be useful to compare one
patent claim against that patent's description,
and against an arbitrary potential prior art
candidate?

Entity recognition, with and without names or
descriptions or anaphora;

Objects and activities mentioned in the claims, as
compared to those mentioned in each patent;
Mereological relationships among the identified
objects and activities;

Common verb signature database with identified
variables and constants,

Modus ponens interpreter of signature phrases wrt
the identified objects and activities,

               Logic language of FOL level, Horne
clause, lexical scopes, question answering,

               Heuristic search through And/or
graphs with FOL parameterization, simple algebra

What have I missed?

The idea, or long term goal, is to build an
ontology of patent claims as encountered in
published patents.  If that turns out to be
helpful, other document analysis tasks might
benefit from the ontology so developed.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper