[Corpora-List] News about the British National Corpus

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 18 10:46:46 UTC 2014

In 2014 there will be some changes in the way that the British National
Corpus (BNC) is distributed.

It is now possible to download the British National Corpus at no cost
from the Oxford Text Archive at the following URL:

http://www.ota.ox.ac.uk/desc/2554

BNC Baby, a 4-million word sample of the BNC is also available:

http://www.ota.ox.ac.uk/desc/2553

Click on the 'apply for approval' link to request a copy. The BNC
continues to be subject to the same user licence conditions, which can
be viewed athttp://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/docs/licence.html. If you have
already paid for permission to use the BNC, you should consider that
this continues to be valid in perpetuity.

There is an even simpler download option if you have a login ID from a
UK or eduGAIN Shibboleth identity provider (usually, this applies to all
members of UK universities, and many European institutions). You can
follow the links at the locations above to download the corpus directly
without applying for approval. We hope that this facility will soon be
extended to users from other countries who participate in the CLARIN
Federation.

It will remain possible to order the BNC on disks from the University of
Oxford until the end of March 2014, with the current administrative
charges still applying, from the following URL:

http://www.oxforduniversitystores.co.uk/browse/category.asp?compid=1&modid=1&catid=1049

As part of this process, I have to announce that the University of
Oxford can no longer offer any support for the XAIRA software, which has
for many years been made available with the corpus. We have tried to
offer support on a 'best efforts' basis in recent years, but we do not
have the resources or expertise to help with the installation or use of
XAIRA on the latest hardware and software. Users of XAIRA are encouraged
to visit http://xaira.sourceforge.net/ and check out the forums and
mailing lists which you will find there. The future of XAIRA depends on
a committed user community, so please get involved if you have questions
or can contribute expertise.

There are excellent services offering instant online access to the BNC,
such as those listed at http://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/. I am convinced
that there is still further potential for the integration and use of the
corpus in online services and web applications. There are plans to
integrate access to the BNC with the emerging CLARIN infrastructure,
enabling a range of applications and web services to be used in
conjunction with this and many other corpora. See http://www.clarin.eu/
for more details.

If you know of other ways of using the BNC, or have any more ideas about
its future, I would welcome a discussion on this email list, or email me.

See this message at my blog:
http://blogs.it.ox.ac.uk/martinw/2014/01/13/changes-to-the-distribution-of-the-british-national-corpus/

--
Martin Wynne