[Corpora-List] Lakoff on Fillmore

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Fri Feb 21 21:26:44 UTC 2014

It's sad to hear that Fillmore died, and the following web page
has a good review of his work:

    http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/charles-j-fillmore-1929-2014

Re Lakoff's summary:  the only points I disagree with are George's
constant claims that "cognitive science is a young field" in which
all the major discoveries occurred in the past 40 years.

Minsky also had something to say about frames, and his 1974 article
cited a lot of earlier work:

    http://web.media.mit.edu/~minsky/papers/Frames/frames.html

I cited earlier work in my article on semantic networks:

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/semnet.htm

I have a very high regard for Fillmore's work, but it's important
to put all the developments in perspective.  When you shorten the
perspective to 40 years, it makes progress look much faster than
it really is.  I believe we have a long way to go before the
"singularity" when we can download our tired old brains into
the computer.

John