[Corpora-List] Lakoff on Fillmore

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Sat Feb 22 13:49:49 UTC 2014

Dear John,

On 21/02/14 22:26, John F Sowa wrote:
[...]
> Re Lakoff's summary:  the only points I disagree with are George's
> constant claims that "cognitive science is a young field" in which
> all the major discoveries occurred in the past 40 years.
[...]

He obviously means *his* cognitive science. Since the early 90's, I have
been increasingly amazed at the skill, with which the newly arrived
"cognitive grammar" has been hijacking the adjective "cognitive", soon
applying it simply to "linguistics", as if there had been nothing
cognitive about linguistics before Lakoff, Langacker, and their
colleagues. That was accompanied by the setting up of a journal with a
corresponding title, appropriately named conferences, and the general
publicizing of new (and hence, to many, intellectually attractive)
ideas, and now, we can learn from Wikipedia, that, e.g.,

"Langacker develops the central ideas of Cognitive Grammar in his
seminal, two-volume Foundations of Cognitive Grammar, which became a
major departure point for the emerging field of Cognitive Linguistics."

("Foundations" appeared around 1990)

Best,

  Piotr