[Corpora-List] Resources for evaluating term extraction

Qasemizadeh, Behrang behrang.qasemizadeh at deri.org
Thu Feb 20 15:46:21 UTC 2014

Dear Adam,

There is also available a data-set of annotated terms, which are extracted from the ACL-ARC corpus[1]. It is not a multilingual dataset but since the ACL ARC is available in the Sketch Engine [2], I though you may find it helpful.

Candidate terms are extracted using a part-of-speech based filtering method and then are sorted by several different scores amongst them the C-Value. The top-1000 extracted terms are then annotated.

Terms are annotated at three different levels: invalid terms, valid terms, and technology terms. The technology terms are those valid terms that refer to a "technology concept" in the domain of computational linguistics. For example:

*         Valid terms: natural language, parse tree, language model

*         Technology terms: machine translation, natural language processing

*         Invalid terms: sex and violence, dr. smith, intended referent, % error rate

The statistics for the data-set currently reads:
Size:       61609 terms annotated out of 1.5m terms
#Valid Terms: 18186
#Amongst them are tech-tech: 12389
#Invalid terms: 43423

A small number of terms (only 300) are annotated several times by a few number of students; therefore, an inter-annotator agreement is also available from that data.
Please find attached a sample of the top 1000 terms sorted descending by their C-Value score (annotatd_cvalue.cmpr_cvalue). If you like to access the rest of the dataset please let me know.

Best regards,

Behrang

PS. Attached also is the list of terms unannotated, in case you want to compare your annotation with the annotated file (un_annotated__term.cmpr_cvalue.txt).

[1] http://acl-arc.comp.nus.edu.sg/
[2] https://the.sketchengine.co.uk/bonito/run.cgi/first_form?corpname=preloaded/aclarc_1;