[Corpora-List] Civis Analytics: positions in NLP, speech processing and machine learning

Derrick Higgins dhiggins at civisanalytics.com
Mon Jul 14 14:05:44 UTC 2014

Civis Analytics is currently evaluating applications for candidates
with expertise in natural language processing, speech processing and
machine learning.  See the full job posting below for details.

--
Derrick Higgins
Civis | Analytics

 == Who We Are ==
Civis is a Chicago-based Big Data analytics firm born in a large
windowless back room of President Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign.
We called it “The Cave.”

Beginning with the campaign, our mission as a team has been clear:
help great organizations use their Big Data to solve their biggest
problems.  We are now applying our analytical expertise, specialized
software, and innovative technological approach to help companies,
non-profits, and campaigns leverage their data to develop smarter
strategies, make better decisions, and build stronger, data-driven
organizations. In the year since our company’s founding, we have
helped solve problems as diverse as enrolling individuals for health
insurance, optimizing TV ad purchases to reach more targets, and
pinpointing individuals who want to sign up for a clean energy utility
company.

We are not a group of spreadsheet management consultants; we are an
inventive team of the best statisticians, scientists, engineers, and
technologists in our fields building things that have never been built
before. And we’re looking to add to our team.

We are already solving some of the world’s most demanding and complex
problems with Big Data – working with organizations to analyze and
understand their individual level intelligence to improve outcomes and
implement organizational change. We work on teams with diverse skill
sets to apply and invent new data science techniques, putting us at
the forefront of innovation in our field as we solve problems that
have never been solved before.

We are smart, fun, and a little bit weird. Does this sound like you?

 == Job Description ==
The Research and Development team is responsible for developing the
fundamental data science methods, techniques, and best practices that
power the mission of our company.  Our diverse work includes
predictive analytics, algorithm development, experimental design,
visualization, and survey research. As a Data Scientist on our
Chicago-based Research and Development team, you will work closely and
collaboratively with analysts and engineers to develop and
operationalize the techniques that quantify and solve big, meaningful
problems. Our team dives deeply into big problems and works in a
variety of areas.

With a specialization in unstructured data, this Data Scientist role
will apply techniques from fields such as machine learning, applied
statistics, natural language processing, computer vision, and speech
processing to the growing unstructured datasets being collected at
Civis.  Because the majority of the world’s information is
unstructured, being able to leverage these diverse and voluminous data
sources adds tremendous value to Civis products and research. In this
role, you will be a critical voice shaping both how unstructured data
informs existing Civis products and services, and how it leads to the
development of entirely new ways of serving our clients, novel to the
industry as a whole.

We are looking for individuals from a diversity of backgrounds with
demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value
creativity, hard work, and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive
compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law,
all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility
to work in the United States.

 == Minimum Qualifications ==
* Master’s degree in a quantitative field, such as computer science,
statistics, machine learning, or electrical engineering, or a
Bachelor’s degree and outstanding work experience
* Knowledge of and practical experience in applying the methodology of
one or more unstructured data analysis fields, such as natural
language processing, speech processing, or computer vision.
* Familiarity with statistical packages such as R, Stata, or in the
Python scientific stack (NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, pandas)
* Experience with common toolkits for unstructured data analysis, such
as Theano, Torch, open-cv, the Stanford NLP tools, HTK, and Kaldi
* Experience with SQL databases
* Strong programming skills
* Experience identifying and correcting for problems in imperfect data
* An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others

 == Preferred Qualifications ==
* PhD in a quantitative field such as computer science, statistics,
machine learning, or electrical engineering
* Ability to expand upon modern statistical learning methods
* Significant work experience in applying the methodology of one or
more unstructured data analysis fields
* High proficiency in programming with Python, Go, Java, Lua, C, or
other languages used for high-performance statistical computing
* Familiarity with architectures for scaling statistical computing to
big data applications, such as Hadoop and Spark
* Theoretical understanding sufficient to independently implement
complex neural network architectures

 == Location ==
This posting is for a position in Civis’ Chicago headquarters.

 == How to Apply ==
Applications may be submitted at
http://www.civisanalytics.com/apply/entry/data-scientist-chicago-il.