[Corpora-List] Fwd: Call for participation: JURISIN 2014 competition on legal information/entailment (COLIEE-14)

Craig Pfeifer craig.pfeifer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 12:26:43 UTC 2014

FYI (via IAAIL list)

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Workshop on Juris-informatics (JURISIN) 2014

Competition on Legal Information Extraction/Entailment (COLIEE-14)

http://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~miyoung2/jurisin_task/index.html

As an associated event of JURISIN 2014, we are happy to announce a
competition of legal information extraction and entailment derived from
Japanese bar exams.  We hope that the 2014 workshop will help establish a
major experimental effort in the legal information extraction/retrieval
field.  The motivation for the competition is to help create a research
community of practice for the capture and use of legal information.

There are two tasks in the competition; One is to extract articles from
Japanese civil code which contributes to solving a bar exam yes/no question
and the other is to check entailment of a question from given civil code
article(s). If we could combine these methods, we could solve a bar exam
question as a whole. Detailed description can be found in the above url.

All the data are available both in Japanese and English (translation from
Japanese bar exams and civil code). And you can choose either (or both) of
them to accomplish the above tasks.

As noted above, the intention is to start to build a community of practice
regarding legal textual entailment, so that the adoption and adaptation of
general methods from a variety of fields is considered, and that
participants share their approaches, problems, and results.

We require participants to submit a paper on their method and experimental
results using training corpus to JURISIN 2014 workshop in accordance with
an instruction specified at http://www.jaist.ac.jp/org/jurisin2014/ and to
present the paper at the special session of JURISIN 2014.

These papers will be reviewed in the same way of usual submission to
JURISIN 2014 and an extended version could be submitted to an LNAI
post-proceeding of JSAI-IsAI2014 (the name of symposium in which JURISIN
2014 is included). The selected paper will be published in the LNAI
post-proceedings.

Important dates:

July 21, 2014 Training corpus Available

Aug 21, 2014  Test queries available.

Aug 28, 2014  Results submission deadline.

Sep 10, 2014  Paper submission deadline.

Nov 23-24,2014 JURISIN 2014 Workshop and assessments returned to
participants

Application Details

Organizations wishing to participate in JURISIN 2014 should respond to this
call for participation by submitting an application.  To apply, submit the
application and memorandums of the following URL to miyoung2 at ualberta.ca.

Application:

http://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~miyoung2/jurisin_task/application.pdf

Memorandum for Japanese Data

http://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~miyoung2/jurisin_task/JA_memorandum.pdf

Memorandum for English Data

http://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~miyoung2/jurisin_task/EN_memorandum.pdf

We will send an acknowledgement to the email address supplied in the form
once we have processed the form.

Task coordinators:

Mi-Young Kim, University of Alberta, Canada

Randy Goebel, University of Alberta, Canada

Ken Satoh, National Institute of Informatics, Japan