[Corpora-List] XML parsers vs regex

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Jun 30 19:44:01 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-30 15:33, Phil Gooch wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Matías Guzmán Naranjo
> <mortem.dei at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> wouldn't just writing <date>.*?</date> get me 'week after'?
>
> I'd go for
>
> <date>[^<]+</date>
>
> which will consume line breaks. Of course, this assumes that date only
> contains text and no other markup.

Again, my knowledge of grep is probably dated.  But I just tried the
above, and it didn't work (it did not consume line breaks, so it
couldn't find things that were on two successive lines).  Are you using
some command line parameter on grep that allows it to search across
successive lines?

    Mike Maxwell