[Corpora-List] Corpora Digest, Vol 84, Issue 36

Patrick Hanks patrick.w.hanks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 13:16:53 UTC 2014

The term* prototype *comes from Eleanor Rosch, an anthropologist who
applied it in the 1970s to elements of cognition and has attracted a wide
following.  She showed that concepts tend to be built around "prototypes"
rather than being arrived at by "definitions".

Also in the 1970s, the philosopher Hilary Putnam used the term *s*
*tereotype* when pointing out that, even if a tiger is defined as a
four-legged wild animal with a striped coat, a three-legged tame albino
tiger (i.e. a tiger that is a counterexample to all the defining terms)
would still be a tiger.

*Archetype* would be an equally good term, but I don't know of any relevant
history of that term. (There probably is one.) The imprtant thing is to get
away from the notion of definitions, challenge the natural human obsession
with boundary cases (which is ridiculous if

*Prototype* is established as a conventional term, so normally I use it.
In this posting, however, I will experiment with using *stereotype*.  Is it
any better? I doubt it.

& & &

It is important to distinguish stereotypes of word meaning from stereotypes
of word use. At least one of the recent postings shows signs of confusing
them.

As a corpus linguist and lexicographer, I argue that words have meaning
potential, rather meaning as such). I aim to map stereotypical phraseology
onto stereotypical meanings on empirically good foundations
(generalizations based on analysis of large quantities of actual uses of
each word). One result provides strong empirical confirmation of Sincliir's
observation that "many, if not most, meanings require the presence of more
than one word."  Many if not most meanings are associated with patterns,
rather than individual words.

& & &

Easy to spot?  OK, maybe not so easy in running discourse -- and (pardon
me, Kevin) not always reliable if based on introspection.  But easy as pie
when you look at the patterns in a concordance.

Patrick Hanks