[Corpora-List] Faculty positions on data science and HCI at Syracuse iSchool

Bei Yu byu at syr.edu
Thu Mar 6 16:01:39 UTC 2014

Data science and HCI positions

Syracuse University's School of Information Studies (The iSchool, see
http://ischool.syr.edu) is soliciting applications for scholars involved in
the broad and evolving spaces of data science/ data analytics and
human-computer interaction (HCI) to join its renowned and interdisciplinary
faculty. These positions are open rank, and we specifically encourage
graduating doctoral students, senior assistant professors, and recently
tenured faculty to apply.

Located at the center of the picturesque Syracuse University, we seek
entrepreneurial colleagues with a passion for innovative scholarship, a
desire to work with others on interdisciplinary projects, and enthusiasm
for teaching. The iSchool has seven degree programs and an enrollment of 50
doctoral students, 650 masters' students and 650 undergraduates, led by 42
full-time faculty and over 100 part-time faculty.

The iSchool is at the cutting edge of scholarship and instruction. The
school hosts five research centers and laboratories and faculty with
recognized strengths in natural language processing, information retrieval,
Internet governance and telecommunications policy, digital literacy,
information management, information and network security, new forms of work
and organizing, gamification, data science, entrepreneurship, and social
media. There are campus-level initiatives on computational linguistics,
sustainability, and urban education, along with strategic partnerships with
J.P. Morgan Chase, IBM, and others as reflected in a curricular focus on
Global Enterprise Technologies. The SU-ADVANCE program provides extensive
mentoring services for female faculty in STEM disciplines. The ISchool
recently acquired an IBM Netezza box, allowing for complex, fast analysis
of large data sets, and SU has large data-storage capabilities and is home
of the Qualitative Data Repository.

The iSchool seeks colleagues who can deepen and extend our emerging
strengths in data science. We see this as a broad area that spans the
following: visualization of large data sets and analytic approaches to
large and often heterogeneous data sets; developing tools and approaches
for scientific collaboration, and for data access and retrieval;
computational social science involving large-scale quantitative data,
examining large-scale online social configurations; and other possible
areas emphasizing large-scale data and its analysis and representation.

The iSchool faculty also seeks colleagues who will continue to expand our
strengths in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). Although we encourage
applications from any area of HCI, we are particularly interested in
candidates with research and teaching experience in the design, building
and testing of online systems and environments, mobile applications, and
other artifacts, and who are engaging in studies of uses and users in the
field or laboratory.

The ability to obtain research funding will be considered a competitive
advantage in our evaluations, as will evidence of teaching excellence. A
record of publishing impactful scholarship is expected. Although rank and
years of experience are open, we will consider outstanding ABDs with a
strong expectation of a successful dissertation defense by 2015.

To be considered, applicants must submit: a cover letter outlining their
interests and qualifications (including the rank they are seeking); a
current *curriculum vitae*; short statements describing research and
teaching interests and accomplishments; and the names and contact
information of at least three references to: www.sujobopps.com (job
#071012). Strong candidates will be contacted for letters of reference and
asked to provide research samples and a teaching portfolio or other
evidence of teaching experience. Please do not submit these items with the
initial application.

We will begin screening applicants on *2 April, 2014* and continue
accepting applications until the positions are filled, which may extend
into the 2014-2015 academic year.

Please direct questions to Dr. Jennifer Stromer-Galley, search chair, at
jstromer at syr.edu

--
Bei Yu
Assistant Professor