[Corpora-List] Summary - Thanks for the replies! -> Gold standard for document similarity

Ivelina Nikolova iva at lml.bas.bg
Fri Mar 7 13:52:56 UTC 2014

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post!
I've compiled a summary of the answers which you can see below.

General comment: Comparatively few similarity datasets above the
sentence level exist.

Resources:

1. Lee & Pincombe's dataset:
Michael D. Lee, Brandon Pincombe, and Matthew
Welsh. 2005. An empirical evaluation of models of
text document similarity. In Proceedings of the 27th
Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society,
pages 1254--1259, Mahwah, NJ. Erlbaum.

These are human graded similarities between paragraph sized texts. Need
to contact Michael Lee to get access to it.
Contact: Michael D. Lee <mdlee at uci.edu>

2. Linda Bawcom's observations:
1) much of the similarity is caused by so many newspapers using the same
agency (mostly Reuters and Associated Press -in the United States) to
get their news and
2) she used a free online similarity program (really one that is
normally used for plagiarism) to find that similarity:
http://plagiarism.bloomfieldmedia.com/z-wordpress/2012/03/05/new-release-wcopyfind-4-1-1/.
She prepared ? corpus on TSUNAMI-related topics

Contact: Linda Bawcom <linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net>

3. SemEval Text Similarity task 2013
  http://ixa2.si.ehu.es/sts/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=54

- Core task - Given two sentences, s1 and s2, participants will
quantifiably inform us on how similar s1 and s2 are, resulting in a
similarity score.
- Pilot task on typed-similarity between semi-structured records. The
types of similarity to be studied include location, author, people
involved, time, events or actions, subject, description.
Data is available here:
http://ixa2.si.ehu.es/sts/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=56

Contact: "Zesch, Torsten, Dr." <torsten.zesch at uni-due.de>

4. 20 newsgroups
  http://qwone.com/~jason/20Newsgroups/

The 20 Newsgroups data set is a collection of approximately 20,000
newsgroup documents, partitioned (nearly) evenly across 20 different
newsgroups. To the best of my knowledge, it was originally collected by
Ken Lang, probably for his Newsweeder: Learning to filter netnews paper,
though he does not explicitly mention this collection. The 20 newsgroups
collection has become a popular data set for experiments in text
applications of machine learning techniques, such as text classification
and text clustering.

5. Reuters corpus
http://about.reuters.com/researchandstandards/corpus/statistics/index.asp

6. Adam Kilgarriff & Tony Russell-Rose wrote a paper evaluating various
metrics for comparing corpora, and as part of that process created a set
of 'known similarity corpora' which included various newspaper sources.
It's documented here:
Measures for corpus similarity and homogeneity
http://aclweb.org/anthology//W/W98/W98-1506.pdf
The documents are here: ftp://ftp.itri.brighton.ac.uk/KSC
The METER Corpus is here: http://nlp.shef.ac.uk/meter/

Contacts: Tony Russell-Rose <tgr at russellrose.com>, Paul D Clough

7. JRC resources
- JEX corpus, which accompanies the JEC software
(http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=60)
- The news clusters downloaded and annotated for multi-document
summarisation (see at the bottom of the page
http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/?id=61).
- NewsExplorer news clusters (e.g.
http://emm.newsexplorer.eu/NewsExplorer/home/en/latest.html).

Contacts: Ralf Steinberger <ralf.steinberger at jrc.ec.europa.eu>