[Corpora-List] Temporal expression definition

Michele Filannino michele.filannino at cs.manchester.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 18:54:56 UTC 2014

Hi Olivier,

a temporal expression is defined in:

   - Setzer, A. Temporal Information in Newswire Articles; An Annotation
   Scheme and Corpus Study. PhD thesis, University of Sheffield,
2001.<ftp://ftp.dcs.shef.ac.uk/home/robertg/theses/setzer_thesis.pdf>
   - Lisa Ferro, Robyn Kozierok, Laurie Gerber, Beth Sundheim, Inderjeet
   Mani, and George Wilson. 2002. Annotating temporal information: from theory
   to practice. In Proceedings of the second international conference on Human
   Language Technology Research (HLT '02). Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc.,
   San Francisco, CA, USA, 226-230.<http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1289202>
   -
   http://www.timeml.org/tempeval2/tempeval2-trial/guidelines/timex3guidelines-072009.pdf
(section
   2)

The annotation standard for temporal information (temporal expressions,
events and temporal links) is ISO-TimeML.
If you are interested in temporal information extraction systems I suggest
you to have a look at TempEval-3 challenge:

   -
   http://aclweb.org/aclwiki/index.php?title=Temporal_Expression_Recognition_and_Normalisation_(State_of_the_art)
   - http://derczynski.com/sheffield/papers/tempeval-3.pdf

I hope it will help,
michele.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Olivier Austina
<olivier.austina at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a temporal expression definition widely used? I thing about
> temporal research projects used in NLP applications. Thank you.
> Regards
> Olivier

Michele Filannino

CDT PhD student in Computer Science