[Corpora-List] IPCITI 2014 - [Deadline Extension] International Postgraduate Conference in Translation and Interpreting

Sheila Castilho M de Sousa castils3 at mail.dcu.ie
Tue May 6 18:15:22 UTC 2014

*IPCITI 2014*

*10**th** Anniversary - International Postgraduate Conference in
Translation and Interpreting*

*Intersect, Innovate, Interact*

* New Directions in Translation and Interpreting Studies*

*29-31 October 2014*

The IPCITI Conference is the result of a long-term collaboration between
Dublin City University, Heriot-Watt University, the University of Edinburgh
and the University of Manchester. IPCITI is designed to provide new
researchers from all areas of translation and interpreting studies with the
opportunity to share their research with peers in a supportive and
intellectually stimulating environment. This year’s conference will engage
with existing and new perspectives and interactions within and beyond
Translation and Interpreting studies that are shaping the future of the
discipline. Following the success of the 9th IPCITI conference held at
Heriot-Watt University, the University of Manchester is pleased to host the
10th anniversary conference which will take place from 29-31 October 2014.

*CALL FOR PAPERS AND POSTERS*

We particularly welcome abstracts which address (but need not be limited
to) the following topics:

*Intersect*

In line with Maria Tymoczko’s theorisation of translation as a ‘cluster
concept’, it can be argued that Translation and Interpreting Studies is a
discipline formed at the intersections, namely through its interplay with
other subject areas. We are interested in the ever-evolving dialogical
relationship between T&I Studies and:

   - Intercultural Studies
   - Sociology and Politics
   - Media and Visual Studies
   - Science and Technology
   - Gender and Sexuality Studies

*Innovate*

With the explosion of social media since the inception of the IPCITI
enterprise,
it is vital to examine how new media and new technologies influence both
how we interpret and translate on a practical level, and how we think about
interpreting and translation on a conceptual level. We would like to
consider how the discipline engages with:

   - New media and technologies
   - New theoretical frameworks
   - New methodological approaches
   - New challenges

*Interact*

Increasingly globalised, technology-driven societies are witnessing the
emergence of new modes of translating and interpreting and, in parallel
with this, an enlarged conception of who we consider as being translators
and interpreters. Understanding the ways in which existing and emerging
communities of translators and interpreters interact with one another (as
well as with those who theorise on their activities) is crucial for the
future of T&I studies. At the conference we would like to discuss the
different modes of interaction between:

 •Professional translators/ interpreters and volunteers (including
activists, fansubbers, etc.)

•Academics and translators/interpreters

•The translator/interpreter and the ‘self’ (i.e. the growing acknowledgment
of the role that the translator’s/interpreter’s own subjectivity plays in
these forms of interlingual and intercultural mediation)

*INVITED CONFERENCE SPEAKERS*

*Keynote Speakers           *Prof. Barbara Moser-Mercer (Université de
Genève)

                                                Dr. Sue-Ann Harding (Hamad
Bin Khalifa University)

*Workshop Leaders          *Dr. Rebecca Tipton (University of Manchester)

                                Dr. Gabriela Saldanha (University of
Birmingham)

*ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES*

IPCITI 2014 welcomes abstracts for paper and poster presentations:

   - *Papers* are allotted 20-minute slots to be followed by 10 minutes of
   discussion (total 30 minutes each presenter).
   - *Poster* presenters will be required to explain their research in a
   more informal setting to small groups during our dedicated poster session.

Both paper and poster abstracts should be submitted in English and should
not exceed 300 words.

*Abstracts should include:*

   - The presenter's name
   - The presenter's affiliation
   - The presenter's academic status and current year of study
   - Title for the paper/poster to be presented
   - Three keywords that best encapsulate the content of the paper/poster
   to be presented
   - An indication of the theoretical framework and/or research methodology
   employed or to be employed
   - A brief summary of outcomes or pursued outcomes

*Please submit your abstract to:
**abstracts.ipciti2014 at gmail.com*<abstracts.ipciti2014 at gmail.com>

*KEY DATES*

Abstract submission deadline: Wednesday 30 April 2014

*Friday 30 May 2014*

Notification of acceptance: Friday 4 July 2014

Registration deadline: Friday 26 September 2014

*Information and Contact Details*

Enquiries concerning the conference should be directed to:
info.ipciti2014 at gmail.com

Information on the University of Manchester: www.manchester.ac.uk

General information on Manchester can be found at: www.visitmanchester.com

Further information concerning accommodation and directions to the
conference venue will be available shortly at: www.ipciti.org.uk

-----
Sheila Castilho
PhD Student,
School of Applied Language and Intercultural Studies,
Centre for Translation and Textual Studies,
CNGL - Centre for Global and Intelligent Content
Dublin City University