[Corpora-List] Open Research Position (M.S. / Ph.D. / post-doc):, Analyzing Routine Activities for Crime Prediction

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Mon May 26 21:23:34 UTC 2014

On 5/26/2014 10:01 AM, Zoltan Boka wrote:
> In my view, consent obtained under duress is no consent at all. It is
> true of course that one can simply forgo twitter and thus withhold
> consent. It is also true that this approach could be applied to other
> realms, but the implication- that your only choices are implied
> consent to every possible application and use of your information or
> abstinence from technology bothers me.
>
> Twitter is merely optional- but many things in life are not (and even
> with twitter for some it may be a key to their livelihood and thus
> mandatory) so to say that you can withhold consent through abstinence
> is a false choice, and for some its no choice at all.

     Twitter use may not be entirely optional based on other life
choices, but I can't think of many choices that would mandate sharing
location data with Twitter, which is a separate option.

https://twitter.com/alqaeda/status/24525767471

     It is true that many people seem genuinely confused about the fact
that Twitter, Tumblr and public Facebook posts are public broadcast
platforms, open to all by default (although with various options to
limit what others can see).  See the periodic freakouts about not truly
being able to "block" people from seeing public posts on these platforms.

http://mashable.com/2013/12/12/twitter-blocking-mute/

     I honestly don't know what to do about these people.  They seem to
have a genuine cognitive dissonance about the idea: "It's like having my
own newspaper!" "No, you can't read what I wrote!"

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com