[EDLING:1389] [Fwd: culture in the news]

Tamara Warhol warholt at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Tue Mar 28 14:18:20 UTC 2006

This message came through the CAE Listserv. Although it does not
specifically address language, I was interested to see that many of the
socialization issues raised mirror those proposed my Shirley Brice
Heath, Susan Philips, etc. in the early 1980s.

I noticed this is the second most emailed article in the NY Times over the
past week (from Sunday's paper) -- a discussion of "culture" and the school
performance of Black males:

Orlando Patterson:  A Poverty of the Mind:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/26/opinion/26patterson.html?incamp=article_popular

It begins:

"SEVERAL recent studies have garnered wide attention for reconfirming the
tragic disconnection of millions of black youths from the American mainstream.
But they also highlighted another crisis: the failure of social scientists to
adequately explain the problem, and their inability to come up with any
effective strategy to deal with it.

The main cause for this shortcoming is a deep-seated dogma that has prevailed
in social science and policy circles since the mid-1960's: the rejection of
any explanation that invokes a group's cultural attributes — its distinctive
attitudes, values and predispositions, and the resulting behavior of its
members — and the relentless preference for relying on structural factors like
low incomes, joblessness, poor schools and bad housing."

At the bottom of the page the Tmes gives links to some blogs where the story's
been picked up -- some of these are interesting too.