[EDLING:1878] First Evidence Found of Mirror Neuron ’s Role in Language

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu Sep 21 03:35:11 UTC 2006

UCLA News

First Evidence Found of Mirror Neuron’s Role in Language

What do we find so gripping about a good book, the kind that makes us stay up
later than we should to find out what happens to hero or heroine?

A new brain imaging study from UCLA may provide an answer, and further, shed
light on the language problems common to autistic children. In a study
published in the Sept. 19 issue of Current Biology, UCLA researchers show that
specialized brain cells known as mirror neurons activate both when we observe
the actions of others and when we simply read sentences describing the same
action. When we read a book, these specialized cells respond as if we are
actually doing what the book character was doing.

Full story
http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=7353