[EDLING:6] Music is the key to learning English as a second language

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sat Mar 31 11:58:59 UTC 2007

Asbury Park Press

Music is the key to learning English as a second language

Rose Powers, 44, of Metechun teaches ELL 3 and 4, and uses creative ways to
make learning a language easy and fun.

Powers uses Pod-Casts on a video I-Pod in addition to books and worksheets. She
also incorporates music into her everyday teachings. This technique was derived
from experiences as a young Spanish-speaking girl in an unfamiliar environment.

Powers is from Callao, Peru, and is fluent in Spanish. Powers and her family
immigrated to the United States when Powers was in grammar school.

"Learning the American language was difficult for me, but I had good teachers
who put an emphasis on music as a way of learning the language," Powers says.

Teachers associated everyday vocabulary with lyrics from songs by artists such
as The Carpenters and the Eagles. Now, as a teacher, Powers continues to
emphasize the use of music as a learning aid.

Full story:
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070330/LIFE/703300493/1006