No subject

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Thu Mar 18 05:28:20 UTC 1999

sovernspeakout <sovernspeakout at egroups.com>,
Warriornet <warriornet at lists.speakeasy.org>,
"Under_the_Gun at onelist.com" <Under_the_Gun at onelist.com>,
Indigenous <Indigenous3rdWorld at onelist.com>
Subject: Re: ELL: clarification about SIL from an external point of view
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:28:20 +0700
From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au,
sovernspeakout <sovernspeakout at egroups.com>,
Warriornet <warriornet at lists.speakeasy.org>,
"Under_the_Gun at onelist.com" <Under_the_Gun at onelist.com>,
Indigenous <Indigenous3rdWorld at onelist.com>
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

In my battle against the abuse by missions of the Akha and their right to the
accurate portrayal of their culture and language, I must directly confront the
illegal activities of many missions.

They use the same tactic as SIL.  They claim they do not know what the other
pastor, other mission did.
The American Baptists claim to this day that they do not know that their saint
and missionary Paul Lewis sterilized thousands of Akha women and that many of
them died, are still dead now.

And so working constantly to help each other, borrowing network and
infrastructure, they suddenly don't know anything when the problems come up.

SIL sits like a vault of linguistic information while people do not want to
admit what they do and have done around the world.

They refused to work with me on a VERY successful language protection project,
both their people here and in Portland.  I had protested to them that the
American Baptist mission would not make Bibles readily available to pastors
who did not toe their theological line.  I protested the linguistic treatment
of the Akha.  I said there needed and needs to be an ethic which applies to
powerful people especially like SIL.

Why has there been so small a voice on ELL to promote the issue of an ethic
unless a whole lot of people are sleeping with the enemy, a wolf in this case.

John Newman, the SIL/Wycliffe man in Portland Oregon agreed to help me with
the literacy project and then after contacting the SIL people in Chiangmai,
withdrew that offer.

The SIL man in Chiangmai said he didn't like my tone.

I had protested that the American Baptist, in cooperation with Gum Shay, their
consultant, and Norwin, the American Baptist Akha who did the translation
work, had passed up Akha leadership on the editing process of the Old
Testament. The Catholics had not been consulted either.

I would like to see this matter made a matter of record, because I believe
that SIL is involved in Thailand in a supporting role to the very missions who
are manipulating and controlling the language of the Akha and marginalizing
their culture, outright forbidding it, removing girls from Akha villages for
education in a strange single gender offensive.  One religious organization
has more than 80 girls in this fashion, with very little liklihood that they
will be going back to the village.

It is the entire foundation that these missions are built on including SIL
that denies the most basic rights of the indigenous.  Sure, maybe not in every
tribal case, but the beliefs are there that allow it to happen over and over.

Are people beginning to understand how this all ties together, and how you
endangere a language by endangering a people and how SIL plays right along
with all of that.

It would be a whole new Act when SIL publically opposes the American Baptists
and other mission groups in Northern Thailand for their treatment of the
Akha.  God, what a new day that would be, or was it "cold day in hell"?

I heard much protest over orthography but silence over the abuse of a people.

What gives?

Matthew McDaniel

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

Web Site:
http://www.akha.com
mailto:akha at loxinfo.co.th

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
1586 Ewald Ave SE
Salem OR 97302
USA