ELL: Copyright II about the translation part

Dan Kolis dank at HQ.LINDSAYELEC.COM
Fri Jul 20 04:42:39 UTC 2001

>I hope that the following question is not too off topic. Is the
>translation of a public domain book into an artificial language (Esperanto,
>Interlingua, Shelta, etc.) copyrightable.
>Patrick R. Saucer

Hmmm again about the artificial language thing. If the original is > 50
years old, there's no claim at all.

If its (original) is more than 5 years old, if the original had a copyright
symbol and year on every work 'published' the original writer owns the
rights as the translation is a derivitive work.

If less than 5 years old (original), in the US if it took sizable effort;
(subjective obviously) or generated income the copyright is the original
version.

I'm usually more into patent law, but this stuff sort of sits in the sidelines

If you put a copyright symbol, new ISBN number on a translation, you will
*not* be knocked to the ground, sued, or what have you. The situation is
pretty novel!

To me the most interesting current argument is whether a book is a weapon.
Adoph Hitlers family is trying to get   7 Million US from the austrian
copyright tribunal which was embargoed as a armement during WW II.

As I recall, the US Lib of congress, PTO, etc say they should pay. The
counterargument is based on lack of juristdiction. Interestingly, the mans
descendants are almost all poorly employed, and non-functional for the most
part!

Dan

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au