ELL: Re: Literature and endangered languages

Toni Waho toni.waho at XTRA.CO.NZ
Tue Nov 20 17:25:05 UTC 2001

Warm greetings from Aotearoa!
I advise you to read Joshua Fishman.

Fishman.J.A.  1976	Bilingual Education: an international sociological
perspective. Rowley:MA: Newbury Housm in Jacques.K.(1991).  pp16-111

1991	Reversing Language Shift; Theoretical and Empirical Foundations of
Assistance to Threatened Languages; Multilingual Matters Ltd, Clevedon,
Philadelphia, Adelaide

2000a	Business as usual for threatened languages, a paper presented to toite
Kupu, Toi te Mana, Toi te Whenua:  Mäori Development in a Global Society,
Massey University.

2000b	The Status Agenda in Corpus Planning, in Language Policy and Pedagogy,
Lambert.R.D. and Shohamy.E. John Benjamins Publishing Company, Philadelphia.

2000c	Can threatened languages be saved; Multilingual Matters Ltd, Clevedon,
Philadelphia, Adelaide

This is his famous GIDS table:

Stages of Reversing Language Shift:
Severity of Intergenerational Dislocation
(read from the bottom up)

1.	Education, work sphere, mass media and governmental operations at higher
and nationwide levels.
2.	Local/regional mass media and governmental services.
3.	The local/regional (i.e. non-neighbourhood) work sphere, both among Xians
and among Yians.
4b.	Public schools for Xish children, offering some instruction via Xish,
but substantially under Yish curricular and staffing control.
4a.	Schools in lieu of compulsory education and substantially under Xish
curricular and staffing control.

			II.  RLS to transcend to diglossia to its attainment

5.	Schools for literary acquisition, for the old and for the young, and not
in lieu of compulsory education.
6.	The intergenerational and demographically concentrated
home-family-neighbourhood-community:  the basis of mother-tongue
transmission.
7	Cultural interaction in Xish primarily involving the community-based older
generation.
8	Reconstructing Xish and adult acquisition of XSL.

			I.  RLS to attain diglossia (assuming prior ideological clarification)

The GIDS scale.  (Fishman:  2000c p466).

All the best.