Summer Institute of Linguistics

Matthew McDaniel akhazauh at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 27 04:37:30 UTC 2005

I think that the work of missionaries, who rely heavily on the support work of SIL, who of course need access to people's language, to print a bible and channelize people, for the western system, are definitely NOT interested in the culture of people and speak openly about this.

It is very easy to document the effect of these people, and what they care about the culture and what they diss.

I find it interesting that any person could even question that missionaries are destroying culture and that the SIL is helping.

There is record all over the US and the world that the CHRISTIAN colonists and colonizers have destroyed every indigenous culture they ever met.

Let me ask this question. If you BAN everything in someone's culture, and those oral histories completely stop and there is no corpus and no written record and the missionaries shame this history and the kids don't learn it, then the sanitized version of the language is a hoax and if SIL wants to be guardian to this that is their misfortune.

Matthew McDaniel
www.akha.org

The Akha Heritage Foundation.
http://www.akha.org Akha Heritage Site.